Group from Ireland who stayed at Bellevue, LourdesThe Lady Ryder of Warsaw Memorial Trust continues the charitable work according to Sue Ryder’s ideals. One of Lady Ryder’s main wishes for many years was to provide reasonable accommodation in Lourdes for handicapped pilgrims and their carers. In 2008 the Trust supported the conversion and completion of a building in Lourdes belonging to the Polish Catholic Mission. A separate wing was purpose built to accommodate persons with not only handicap but also the very ill, wishing to visit the Sanctuary. The rooms are designed to make their stay as comfortable and accessible as possible.
In 2012 the Trust was able to provide the Mission with a minibus, suitably adapted for wheelchairs, to take the sick and disabled pilgrims wherever they want to go in Lourdes.
The pilgrim house is run by the Sisters of Nazareth, who provide warm Nazareth hospitality for all pilgrims who come to pray at Our Lady’s grotto in Lourdes. They also care for the homeless of the area. All of these activities meet entirely with the aims of the Trust.
In 1874 the Polish Catholic Mission started the tradition of organising pilgrimages to Lourdes for the Poles.
The Sue Ryder rooms at the mission house are available to anyone in need requiring specific accommodation for the handicapped or ill, and their carers.
Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes. Photograph by Nathan Hamblen
Please contact the Sisters directly …